Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Recount

Recount is a text which tells past event. This text usually used by the writer to tell his/her past experiences. Commonly, recount texts do not have any complications, although there are some emotional feeling in the text, these emotional feelings do not belong to complication.

Recount text consists of three parts, namely: Orientation - Events - Re-orientation.

  1. Orientation         : The writer introduces the background of the story in this part. Such as name, time, place, etc. 
  2. Events         : In this part, the writer tells his/her experience in order of circumstance. 
  3. Re-orientation : This is the end of the story; sometimes the writer states his/her feeling about his experience. 


Recount text also follows certain grammatical features, they are:

  • Focus on specific participant : I, You, We, James, etc. 
  • Use past tense / V2         : made, went, cooked, etc. 
  • Use circumstance place & time : to the market, across the river, etc. 
  • Focus on temporal sequence : then, first, when, etc. 


Now, let's move on to the example





Text 1
My Frightening Experience
I was going home from my friend's house. In the middle of the way back home, the rain suddenly falling down.
At first I thought the rain won't be heavy. Bu I was wrong. The rain became heavy, so that I couldn't see the road clearly. I was panic because the road was quiet enough as there are no other cars or motorcycle headed off.
Unfortunately, the wind blew so hard and made my motorcycle imbalance. The thunder also stroke loudly. The rain started to fill the road with water. The puddle went worst.  I was afraid that time, but continued to ride my motorcycle to my house direction.
When it was getting closer to my house, the rain started to decrease. Until then, there was no rain falling down at my house. That was a very frightening experience.

Text 2
Helping a Blind Man
I had the most unforgettable experience in my life when I was 18, as senior high student. It is an experience about helping a blind man to cross the street.
I still remember that day vividly. That night I had studied at school library; it was around 10 o'clock, and I prepared to go back home. As I passed through the school gate, I said goodbye to my friends. Suddenly I saw a strange thing in front of me.
There was a male standing beside the cross-walk; the traffic light was green, he could walk forward, but he didn't. He was just standing there and made no actions. I was confused at this sight. Out of curiosity, I decided to walk over to him and to see what was happening. I felt confused until I walked next to him. Standing beside him, I could see he was wearing sun glasses and holding a white stick; then I knew this man was blind.
In this cold winter day, pedestrians all wore heavy coats, including him and me. His was gray and mine was black. I also noticed that there was a sign around his neck. The sign said "I am virtually deaf and blind; please help me cross the street. Tap me on the shoulder." I knew I must help him. So I tapped him on the shoulder, and then he put his left hand on my right shoulder and I led him across the street. All the process was quiet; the only thing I could hear was the sounds of our steps. It was a cold night too, but I knew he would feel warm at this moment. When we got across the street, he bowed in thanks, and started walking up the block, to the next corner, then the next. While he walked past me, I couldn't help but start to cry. I wanted to walk him home. It was not a very busy street, almost empty. He could have been there, on that corner, for 10 minutes. Maybe he is still at another corner, now, waiting. How does he get home? How does he know where his home is? Thinking of this, I cried more loudly.
I can't image being deaf and blind. You would be so helpless and dependent on other people. Can you imagine going home like that every day: walking a block, then waiting for someone to help you get across the street, then walking another block, and waiting, relying on the kindness of strangers? After this incident, I realized how blessed I am. I should cherish every day and do my best to help the people who need help in my life.

Text 3
My Holiday
Last week i went to mount Bromo. I stayed at my friend's house in probolinggo, East Java. The house has a big garden with a colourful flowers and a small pool.
In the morning my friend and I saw mount Batok. The scenery was very beautiful. We rode on horseback. It was scary, but it was fun. Then, we went to get a closer look at the mountain. We took pictures of the beautiful scenery there. After that, we took a rest and had lunch under a big tree. Before we got home, we went to the zoo at Wonokromo. We went home at the afternoon.
We were very tired. However, i think it was really fun to have a holiday like this. I hope my next holiday will be more interesting.

Text 4
Albert Einstein
Albert Einstein was born near the end of the 1800s in Ulf, Germany. He graduated from the University of Zurich in Switzerland at age 26. That was also when he did his famous work in physics. Fourteen years later he won the Nobel Prize for Physics.
For the next ten years he lived in Germany and traveled a lot to talk to other scientists. Then in the early 1930s he had to leave Germany because of Hitler and the Nazi party. He moved to the United States. From that time until his death he lived in Princeton, New Jersey. He died at the age of 74.


Dari berbagai sumber
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all for the explanation about recount text, hope you will understand about the explanation and example above. If you have some questions or criticism you can leave some comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment